An Unusual Case
Deloris Marie Wisley was first seen at the office of Dr. Claude N. Lambert on March 28, 1966, after having been referred by Dr. Walter Schwartz, who cared for her originally. This child was born September 19, 1965, and at the time of delivery the umbilical cord was wrapped around her right forearm, with resultant gangrene of the right forearm and hand (Fig. 1 ). Apparently Deloris was observed for some time in the hope that circulation would return; finally, at the age of 15 days, an amputation was done at the level of gangrene demarcation.
At the time she was seen by Dr. Lambert, Deloris had a well-healed stump some 6 cm long as measured from the tip of the olecranon. She had excellent control of the elbow as far as flexion and extension were concerned, but no appreciable supination or pronation.
She was referred to the Amputee Clinic at the University of Illinois, and when seen there April 14, 1966 (Fig. 2 ), was the 1,800th patient (adults and children) registered in the clinic, and the 682nd juvenile.
A prosthesis consisting of a plastic forearm shell, double-wall socket, modified figure-eight harness, and a baby plastic mitten was ordered for her and delivered on May 26, 1966. She required practically no training and immediately began using this prosthesis for two-handed activities.
The Adult and Juvenile Amputee Clinics at the University of Illinois were initiated in April 1952, with three adult and 13 child patients. The total patients now listed in the case files as of March 1967 are: juveniles -712; adults-1,218; for a total of 1,930.